My love for carbs and cheese is pretty obvious, I talk about it all the time. I went on a date the other day and we spent at least 30 minutes talking about how it’s great that I’m not a vegan or vegetarian, just a carbovore. I decided to trade in pasta and bread for some of the world’s best Chicken Wings/Buffalo Wings* on Sunday, for research.
I partnered with #WingFest18 at Coca Cola Field in Buffalo and tried several “out of the box” wing flavors including..
- Peach BBQ from Windjammers-there were giant chunks of sugar crystals on top of the bbq peach sauce, eliminating some of the heat. The perfect end of summer wing! It’s officially peach season here and I could go for another helping of these… BONUS -it was a flat wing, which I never really realized I prefer, until now.
- Chicken French from Windjammers– lemon, butter and white wine on almost ANYTHING is going to be amazing, but on a fried chicken wing, it’s next level. My fellow blogger Briana aka BJMagg went back for a second Chicken French wing here, which with so many wing options in one place, really means this was a winner.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s from Boneheads Wing Bar– who would’ve thought you could find a wing with the iconic 1961 Audrey Hepburn film as the clear inspiration? Well you can’t get them in New York, but if you find yourself in Warwick, RI check out Boneheads. They had several funky flavor combinations (pepper and mountain dew, what?!) and a trophy on their front table recognizing their successes as a crowd favorite. I liked how for this particular wing tasted like maple bacon and was clearly acceptable to eat for breakfast, hence the title. Holy Golightly would approve.
- Butterscotch BBQ from Quaker Steak and Lube -they had such a great range of wing flavor options at the QSL booth, but I didn’t feel like this particular wing was anything too extraordinary. I would compare it to a mellow BBQ, but I didn’t really pick up on the butterscotch like I had hoped. If someone had these at a Bills party I would eat them, but I would be a few drinks in.
- Captain’s Candy Apple from Scallywag’s Grub & Spirits– sweet and spicy, but in a cinnamon-y way! It would probably be the basic white girl option, if we weren’t talking about chicken wings. I was so confused by this non-traditional dessert combo, but I really enjoyed it. Not sure I would eat with pizza though… Vanilla bean ice cream seems like a better accompaniment, but these are still wings we’re talking about ?!
- The Sticky Wings, the Queens Choice – this saturated strawberry sauce chicken wing was from a booth with Queen Elizabeth and Meghan Markle photos abound. It was DELICIOUS. Although I can’t picture the Queen of England in a fascinator and matching gloves, elegantly diving into a bowl of sticky wings, I certainly would. We’d both probably wear pearls, in traditional preppy fashion.
I had a blast being a #wingfestpartner this weekend. What better all-American way to celebrate the end of summer than going to the National Buffalo Wing Festival?
*gasp, in case you’re from somewhere outside New York